Thursday, October 6, 2011

K-pouch rocks

Literally.
I have 5 little rocks in my pouch.
Dr Shen did a scope on me this afternoon and much to our mutual chagrin, he found some rocks.
The the really bad part is that they were too big for him to pull out, and they are sort of plugging up the entrance of my small bowel to my pouch and that is part of what is making me backed up, nauseated etc.
So I'm on a full liquid diet until further notice.
Gonna consult with my surgeon Dr Remzi and also with a urologist because there is a therapy that is used to use sound waves to break up kidney stones, and I think the idea is to use it on me to break up the stones in my pouch so they can be removed.  Hopefully, I won't need surgery.
So, what are these stones?  Don't think we'll know till they pull them out and send them to the lab.
Most painful scoping procedure I've had and I was sedated :(
Its been a long day and I'm ready for bed.
On the up-side, at least we know what the problem is.

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

Hello! Hope you are doing okay and that your most recent visit to Cleveland turned out okay.

Thank you so much for posting about your colon (or lack there of) adventure. I just stumbled upon your blog, and reading through it has been a huge blessing. It's comforting and encouraging to learn about someone who shares so many experiences with me. (In fact, I was at the clinic on Oct. 6, too.)

I'm 28, a patient of Dr. Shen's, have horrible veins as well as an unfortunate perianal fistula. I had surgery 5 weeks ago with Dr. Dietz, trading in my S-pouch for a K-pouch.

Things are going pretty well, but I'm still adjusting. If you would be open to it, I'd love to contact you with some questions. I've been struggling with what to eat and thought you may be able to provide some pointers. Thanks in advance for considering this, and again, hope you're feeling well!

Carolyn Hund
carolyn.hund@gmail.com

C Weaver King said...

I also just stumbled across your blog while researching the K pouch. I have been in and out of Cleveland Clinic since August, and the last time, around August 13th - 22nd (?). I had a "roomate" who, it turns out, is Carolyn Hund, who posted a comment for you also. I am a patient of Dr.Megan Costedio, whom I really think is "the bomb". She asked me questions (not just general, but very detailed ones) about my long history for about 2 hours the first time I met her. Her nurse, Kim Bova, has also been a help. Currently I have an Ileostomy that they hope to reconnect to (what remains of) my colon the first week of December. If you are there I will try to find you. I have had many surgeries over the years, all intestinal, and it is very possible that they won't be able to reconnect me, or if they do it may not last very long. I too, had fistulas (fistulae?) in 3 different places, the worst being rectal-vaginal, which came back twice. Anyway, enough about me. I just wanted you to know that I will be praying for you every day, and sending you my support.