Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Am I a freak?

I'd like to think NOT, but sometimes I kinda feel like it.
I'm a nursing student, and no one at my school knows I have a stoma or any history of digestive problems for that matter.  I've been debating about sharing it with a teacher or fellow students but...
I recently was part of a group presentation on colon cancer and I did the portion about ostomies and care.  Their faces.... the looks ranging from pity to disgust when I talked about ileostomies and stomal complications.
I kinda wanted to shout at them
I'm not an alien.

Do I want their pity?
No.  I used to want pity, back when I was unhealthy I wanted people to take pity on me.  But now, not now.  No, because now I'm healthy BECAUSE I have this stoma.

I chose this yes. sort of.  Options kind of limited you know between living with a horrible and chronic bowel condition that left me in debilitating pain and visits to the toilet over 12 times a day.  Sure so I chose to have an ileo then I chose to get my K-pouch which is WAY better (for me).
Yes, its kinda freaky that I put a catheter in my belly to go to the bathroom and sometimes I freak myself out like if I forget to bring my cath in my carry on (truly happened to me).  Stuck at JFK, just ate, feeling like I need to empty and suddenly discover NO CATH what the **** am I going to do????  Suffer for 2 hours before I made it to my home airport got my suitcase off the carousel and ran to the toilet to get some relief.

My Prof says "these people don't go to the bathroom once a day like you and me"
You and Me?  I haven't been a part of that group for 20 years and I'm only 32.
I sit there and listen and try not to smirk.
Does that make me a freak?

I stand in the bathroom and look at my self in the mirror after a shower.
My abdomen has a nice fat, light pink scar that runs from just above my bellybutton to my pubic bone.
My belly is a little lumpy, it will never be cute and flat.
My little red stoma stares at me, he will be with me until I die.
And you know what? I'm pretty happy to have him.  Pretty happy to have my K-pouch despite it all.  Does that make me a freak?

No comments: