Monday, March 28, 2011

I've got a feeling

And its not what you'd expect.
Its about this whole k-pouch feeling of needing to empty, to put it bluntly - to poop.
I realized last night that I still don't have it down - that feeling that says its time to go-  and I'm close now to my 4 year k-pouch birthday.
See, last night, I did something really stupid.  I ate a large dinner late at night and then followed it with an even later snack (oink - I know, did I say it was stupid?)  Now, I emptied just before bed and I felt like I'd be fine until the alarm rang at 6am.
No.
So I woke with a start at 3am.  The kind of start that says your own body woke you like 'hey, I have to pee' or 'I have a migraine' or 'I'm gonna puke'.  That kind of start.  So I'm laying there taking a mental tally trying to figure it out.  Well, I think, I must have to pee and my brain hasn't caught up.  So up I go, take care of business and lay back down and try to go back to sleep.  Hmmmm.  Something's not right, the peeing didn't take care of that body alarm feeling.  And I'm just laying there and then it dawns on me, pouch must be full.  I guess.  And I don't know if it was the mental fog of sleep or just still trying to get a handle on the full-pouch feeling itself or maybe a combo of the two but I just couldn't make up my mind if that was the problem.
So I lay there for a minute or so trying to decide if I was ready to make the effort to empty at 3am when my body decided for me.  Go Do It.
Thank God I have this cath thing down because otherwise I can only imagine how long trying to insert it in a half-away stupor could take.  Reminded me of my emptying on a schedule days when I was still growing my pouch, what a pain that was!
So yes, it was the pouch and back to bed I went.
And as I'm laying there now fully awake unfortunately I was thinking, man, I still sometimes have trouble telling when the pouch is full and needs to be emptied.  Sometimes, especially after a meal when I'm full from dinner or if it happens at an unexpected time because of something I ate causing gas or something....
Its just a weird feeling.
Not like a "I have to poop" kind of feeling.
Just....
Full.  I guess, and if I wait too long it actually starts to hurt.  Which in turn starts to make me nervous.  And I swear to you when it gets that full I can feel the waves of peristalsis come and go, which increase the fullness/pain feeling.  And then my belly swells under my stoma like a water balloon.
Thankfully when its that full I usually do get a nice "relief" sensation.
But a full pouch just has a weird feeling.  And I hope I get a handle on it soon.

No comments: